Sunday 29 October 2017

Badlands - 1973




I don't think I've ever *discovered* a movie before, but if there is one it's Badlands with Sissy Spacek and Martin Sheen. I only came across it as I'm working my way through Sissy Spacek's career, and it gets so few mentions in contrast to its startling quality, I feel I've uncovered a gem.

If you're an old git like me that was too young to enjoy this or just missed it on the film map in the 70s and onwards, but now looks to relax and enjoy good movie making with great screen presence and credible scripts, I think this might work.

I had a lot of enjoyment watching this last night and I'm looking forward to seeing what other work Terence Malik has directed.

There's an amazing Youtube of Martin Sheen telling the story of how he came to be cast in the lead role of Charles Starkweather who was possibly the the United States' first charismatic serial killer.